
Growing up I remember this old VHS tape that my parents had recorded all these classic Christmas shows on. I remember getting super excited about FINALLY being able to pop it in the VCR when Christmas time came around, (because watching it at any other time would have put a serious kink in my universe.)
It had some totally awesome 80's commercials and sometimes the sound would slow down and do that weird whiny thing that old VHS recordings tend to do. It was the best! There was Frosty the Snowman, the classic claymation Rudolph, and of coarse, How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I've probably watched it about 50 times.
BUT.... the other day, I just happened to turn on the TV just in time to catch The Grinch attempting to steal Christmas, and while I watched, I found myself overcome with tears! I know, dumb huh? Well, aside from the fact that I cry @ least once or twice a week over MUCH less, the movie really is well, moving (no pun intended, seriously.)
I think it was the combo of nostalgia, the Christmas spirit, and my need to meet my crying quota for the week. (No, I'm not depressed, mostly my tears are over things like touching news stories, little kids with cancer, stories about old people in love, etc.)
This is the part that turned me into a blubbering buffoon this time:
It was quarter past dawn... All the Whos, still a-bed, All the Whos, still asnooze
When he packed up his sled, Packed it up with their presents!
The ribbons! The wrappings!
The tags! And the tinsel! The trimmings! The trappings!
Three thousand feet up! Up the side of Mt. Crumpit,
He rode with his load to the tiptop to dump it!
"PoohPooh to the Whos!" he was grinchishly humming.
"They're finding out now that no Christmas is coming!"
"They're just waking up! I know just what they'll do!"
"Their mouths will hang open a minute or two,
Then the Whos down in Whoville will all cry BooHoo!"
"That's a noise," grinned the Grinch, "That I simply MUST hear!"
So he paused. And the Grinch put his hand to his ear.
And he did hear a sound rising over the snow.
It started in low. Then it started to grow.
But the sound wasn't sad! Why, this sound sounded merry!
It couldn't be so! But it WAS merry! VERY!
He stared down at Whoville! The Grinch popped his eyes! Then he shook!
What he saw was a shocking surprise!
Every Who down in Whoville, the tall and the small, Was singing!
Without any presents at all!
He HADN'T stopped Christmas from coming! IT CAME!
Somehow or other, it came just the same!
And the Grinch, with his grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow,
Stood puzzling and puzzling: "How could it be so?"
"It came with out ribbons! It came without tags!"
"It came without packages, boxes or bags!"
And he puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store."
"Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more."
So true, Dr. Seuss, so true...hmmmmm....I think the Dr. must have known about Jesus.
6 comments:
Hummm, crying during the Grinch?
Who am I kidding, I cried because of a mentally challeneged couple walking through a parking lot. At least your embarassing crying happened in the privacy of your own home.
Yes Meagan, I guess you inherited the crying from me, because the other day I started crying just thinking about Erin getting off the bus and coming up to me while I was working in the yard, and saying, "Momma, wotcha dong?" And I started bawling! So, you cone by it naturally. Love, mom
Hey Meagan...I just came across your blog and could not relate to your post more! I read "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" to my class on Tuesday and honestly got choked up. I, like you, have a crying quota I must meet!
On another note...hope your doing well. Still in Dallas?
and I started crying in the middle of Target last Saturday because my mom wasn't there to look at Christmas dishes with me. I agree with Erin--at least you were probably on your couch in you own home, and not trying to duck in the aisles of Target to hide your tears!
colses
I think your all a bunch of cry babies...
Love, Dad
I loved that movie growing up too. We didn't have a TV, but Gene and Melody did...so I remember getting to go to their house and watching the recorded VHS tape at their house!
Post a Comment