Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Feeling Fallish

Just to get this out of the way, you won't be getting any political advice from me. So sorry to anyone who was counting on hearing my opinion on politics, you are sooo out of luck...whoever you might be. I believe that God was, is and always will be in control, so politics are a minor concern, but nothing to take focus from what is truly important. Honestly it makes me tired and annoyed to think about it.
So, instead I've been thinking about how much I love Fall. Today was a blustery Fall day, and a tad bit chillier than it has been lately. I am now officially in the Fall mood...

Why Fall is great:

1. Pumpkins. Both the orange plant and as a food, and the word. "pumpkin" is a very fun word to say if you make sure to pronounce the 2nd "p"
2. Football. My favorite sport to watch, even though the Cowboys have been a disappointment this season. Whatever.
3. Apple Cider. Thank you, Kelly for reminding me about apple cider! I'm officially addicted.
4. Fall Colors. Red, Orange, Brown, Yellow, all good colors.
5. Fall Backward. I've already mentioned this, but I love it.
6. Halloween Candy. Specifically caramel.
7. Pumpkin Spice Lattes @ Starbucks. Heavenly, and they should be a year round menu item.
8. Blankets. Throws, afghans, wraps, basically anything to snuggle under while sitting on the couch reading a good fall-themed book.
9. Campfires. Nothing says Fall better.
10. Thanksgiving. My favorite holiday of all the holidays. Yes, even before Christmas. That is how much I love Fall, and being with family.
11. Harvest time. Must be from growing up on the farm. I feel like we're participating in an ancient tradition, even though we use combines instead of like in Bible times when they used...big long knife-like things?...(forgot what they're called.) I love the farm during harvest time.
12. Sweatshirts. The best item of clothing ever invented.

7 comments:

erin f. said...

What kind of Fall-themed books have you been reading lately?

I agree with all of you loves of Fall, except the time change. I hate the time change, it gets dark at 5:00pm in the winter and adds to the wintertime horribles.

pectic

Anonymous said...

I read the Farm Journal "Fall Harvest" edition. Very interesting reading.

Anonymous said...

I love all the same things that you do! Fall is my favorite time of year too! Mom

Meagan said...

I kinda feel like any book about Amish people is Fall-themed, no matter what season it is set in.
Also, Daddy's suggestion of Farm Journal would probably be great Fall-themed reading, thank you for your input, Daddy.

heritju.

erin f. said...

blechimm.

Wait, what? You like Thanksgiving better than Christmas? I am calling your bluff on that one. Remember how we always spent Thanksgiving sitting on the cotton module builder?

Anonymous said...

I'm going to go with Erin on calling your bluff on Thanksgiving over Christmas. Module builder, freezing hands, picking up cotton all over the ground, cold sandwiches ON the module builder over not leaving the house because of snow, being at Grandma's house ALL day long on Christmas day, opening our stockings....but now that I'm talking about it, I miss the module builder days when all I had to worry about was smashing cotton before the next load came in. Maybe you're right. And anyone who is reading this that wasn't raised on a farm is probably thinking "what in the world is a module builder??" and i love your list. I too, think of all of those things when Fall finally comes. I wish you lived here so you could add "leaves changing colors" to your list.

fiest

Meagan said...

For the record, I happened to like building modules. Erin and Cherry are just jealous that my modules were the best and most well proportioned modules around. I liked getting in there and jumping around in the cotton to make the corners come out even.
It was like art, in the form of huge smashed blocks of dirt and cotton.