
(I didn't take this picture, but I love it)
As I am typing this, my back is sore, I can't lift my right arm fully up, and I'm sniffling constantly from an oncoming cold attack....BUT I had the best weekend ever! I went camping. Yes, on the coldest weekend of the Fall season so far. But it was just what I needed. Even though I got hardly any sleep, I feel so refreshed!
Living in Dallas has its good and bad points. Good being that I have a job, and great friends and family here. Bad being that it is a HUGE, concrete, corporate, non-stop, super-speed-racer world. The Bad is whats been getting to me lately.
Example: The other day I was stopped at a red light, singing out loud, minding my own business, then out of nowhere I heard a loud screeching tire sound from behind me. I looked back to see that this man in a pickup had come very close to rear-ending me. I guess I had an instinctual "what the heck, dude?" reaction for a few seconds, and apparently that was his only grounds for practically terrorizing me for the next 2 miles. He followed inches behind me with a dead and cold expression on his face, the whole time flipping me off constantly. For a moment I really thought he was going to try to end my life. After it was over I was a little freaked out, but then I told myself that he was just a very scary, angry, deranged person. Not that we don't have those people in small towns, but you don't run into them very often. Small towns usually have crazies, but not killer-crazies. They seem to be plentiful here in "Big D" however.
So, that said, it was time for me and Dallas to take a break. I was starving for the outdoors! Thats why this camping trip could not have come at a better time. I went with some friends from church that I have been SO blessed to find. I have had kind of a hard time finding people who I can really befriend here. The "t-shirt n' jeans/Christian" type isn't really the norm in Dallas. (I don't like to limit my friendships to just people who are exactly like me, but it helps when you find a few who are.) I also want to say that I LOVE hanging out with the friends from ACU that are here. Ashley K, Sara, Brandon, Kasey, Lana, Andrea and Cliff, you have been SUCH a blessing for me here and are not forgotten! I in NO way want to suggest that I am lacking for friends here, but new friends are always good :)
These latest t-shirt n' jeans friends are alot of fun, I have to say. It was a weekend full of campfires, blankets, sweatshirts and apple cider...(see the post below and realize the relevance of these things). We spent the days on adventures in the woods, skipping rocks on the lake, throwing footballs and frisbees, and the night telling scary/funny stories around the campfire, singing songs from the early 90's, staring at the moon, freezing, and just enjoying each other's company. We ended up spending most of the weekend up there. It was a remote campsite on Grapevine Lake surrounded by trees and biking trails. I'm seriously thinking about taking my bike up there to ride this weekend.
When I got back yesterday, sore bones and runny nose in tow, I felt tired and drained, but ready to take on another week of Dallas crazy-ness. It was a great sit-back and sigh moment. There is so much more that I could write about, but I'm not going to bore you with too much information, (if I haven't already). I just hope that everyone who reads this will take the time to sit back and thank God for the small things that all add up and accumulate and make your life big, deep, meaningful.
We are all blessed.
Living in Dallas has its good and bad points. Good being that I have a job, and great friends and family here. Bad being that it is a HUGE, concrete, corporate, non-stop, super-speed-racer world. The Bad is whats been getting to me lately.
Example: The other day I was stopped at a red light, singing out loud, minding my own business, then out of nowhere I heard a loud screeching tire sound from behind me. I looked back to see that this man in a pickup had come very close to rear-ending me. I guess I had an instinctual "what the heck, dude?" reaction for a few seconds, and apparently that was his only grounds for practically terrorizing me for the next 2 miles. He followed inches behind me with a dead and cold expression on his face, the whole time flipping me off constantly. For a moment I really thought he was going to try to end my life. After it was over I was a little freaked out, but then I told myself that he was just a very scary, angry, deranged person. Not that we don't have those people in small towns, but you don't run into them very often. Small towns usually have crazies, but not killer-crazies. They seem to be plentiful here in "Big D" however.
So, that said, it was time for me and Dallas to take a break. I was starving for the outdoors! Thats why this camping trip could not have come at a better time. I went with some friends from church that I have been SO blessed to find. I have had kind of a hard time finding people who I can really befriend here. The "t-shirt n' jeans/Christian" type isn't really the norm in Dallas. (I don't like to limit my friendships to just people who are exactly like me, but it helps when you find a few who are.) I also want to say that I LOVE hanging out with the friends from ACU that are here. Ashley K, Sara, Brandon, Kasey, Lana, Andrea and Cliff, you have been SUCH a blessing for me here and are not forgotten! I in NO way want to suggest that I am lacking for friends here, but new friends are always good :)
These latest t-shirt n' jeans friends are alot of fun, I have to say. It was a weekend full of campfires, blankets, sweatshirts and apple cider...(see the post below and realize the relevance of these things). We spent the days on adventures in the woods, skipping rocks on the lake, throwing footballs and frisbees, and the night telling scary/funny stories around the campfire, singing songs from the early 90's, staring at the moon, freezing, and just enjoying each other's company. We ended up spending most of the weekend up there. It was a remote campsite on Grapevine Lake surrounded by trees and biking trails. I'm seriously thinking about taking my bike up there to ride this weekend.
When I got back yesterday, sore bones and runny nose in tow, I felt tired and drained, but ready to take on another week of Dallas crazy-ness. It was a great sit-back and sigh moment. There is so much more that I could write about, but I'm not going to bore you with too much information, (if I haven't already). I just hope that everyone who reads this will take the time to sit back and thank God for the small things that all add up and accumulate and make your life big, deep, meaningful.
We are all blessed.
5 comments:
How fun! I must say that I am impressed that you were able to go camping and come out with so many positives. Me and camping do not agree with each other. I prefer to "pretend" to camp while I look at the trees from my bedroom window.
Most of the "crazies" in our hometown are kin folk, so I know how to deal with them. Your experience with the Dallas "crazy" scares your daddy. Next time call me and I'll come take care of it...
I love your blog...it always makes me laugh! To get a background just click on the blue box on the top left of our blog. Under links click on "backgrounds" and then you can search all the categories on the right. Now I have a question for ya..how do you get the "scrapbook" look on your blog. I forgot : )
looks like someone's blog got an update : ) I like!
I am very proud to receive a shout-out on the blog. Thanks Meagan. It means a lot to me. -Kasey
Post a Comment