
There hasn't really been a major decision in my live that I haven't had a clear view of what direction to take. But this one has kicked my booty.
So, long story short, my apartment was broken into last week. Thankfully, all the thief got was my ipod. However, since then I've felt very ill-at-ease in my apartment. I don't feel comfortable being there alone, and I certainly don't want to stay living there considering how much I'm paying it's not worth it to be uncomfortable & scared.
So, I have decided to move ASAP. Like, next week. Thus, I present to you my dilemma:
There are 2 apartments that I could take, one is in the Dallas neighborhood of Lakewood, the other is in Richardson. I've wrestled back and forth with the pros & cons of each, but I haven't been able to come to a decision, so that is where you come in. I will present the pros & cons & let you tell me what I should do :)
I present to you, my list:
Lakewood Apartment:
Pros:
So, long story short, my apartment was broken into last week. Thankfully, all the thief got was my ipod. However, since then I've felt very ill-at-ease in my apartment. I don't feel comfortable being there alone, and I certainly don't want to stay living there considering how much I'm paying it's not worth it to be uncomfortable & scared.
So, I have decided to move ASAP. Like, next week. Thus, I present to you my dilemma:
There are 2 apartments that I could take, one is in the Dallas neighborhood of Lakewood, the other is in Richardson. I've wrestled back and forth with the pros & cons of each, but I haven't been able to come to a decision, so that is where you come in. I will present the pros & cons & let you tell me what I should do :)
I present to you, my list:
Lakewood Apartment:
Pros:
- It is only about a 5 min. drive from work (good neighborhood)
- It is almost 1,000 SF (WAY bigger than my apartment now)
- It's an above garage apartment, which means no noisy neighbors.
- It is owned by a nice family with 3 little kids who seem very sweet & I think I would like getting to know them.
- Access to a sweet little park with a pool & nice big trees where I could go jogging. (my apartment windows would look out to the park)
- It would be about $200.00/month cheaper than what I'm paying now. (big deal)
- It has a nice finish-out, new stainless appliances, hardwoods, stack-able washer/dryer, nice storage, central heat & air, an alarm system, etc.
Cons:
- Not AS safe as I would like. (wouldn't have a secure place to park my car, door is still accessed from the ground level)
- I don't have any close friends in the neighborhood & might get a little lonely there.
Richardson Apartment:
Pros:
- My friend Kasey also lives there. (nuff said)
- VERY safe. It has a private parking garage, then you have to have a key to get from the garage to the building, then all the apartments are accessed from an interior hallway. (mine would be on the 3rd floor, no stairs though)
- It has GREAT amenities, awesome pool, work out room, etc.
- I like the area, there are lots of restaurants within walking distance that I'm exited about trying out.
- WAY cheaper than what I pay now. It would be about $50.00/month cheaper than Lakewood.
- Easy access to HWY 75, George Bush tollway, & Greenville Avenue (which is the street my office is on)
- It's close to friends. I have several friends who live in Richardson & it would be nice to be close to them.
- Nice finish out, with all new stainless steel appliances, granite counter tops, & new everything. (it's only about 1 yr. old)
- There is a good Sonic close by. (this might not seem like a selling point to most people, but those of you who know me well, know why this is made the list)
Cons:
- It is a little smaller than my apartment now. (I don't think I could fit my dining room table)
- It is about a 20 min. drive from my office. (do-able, but not really great)
- I would have to rent a washer/dryer. Not a huge deal, but would be nice not to worry about that kind of thing.
- It doesn't really have a good place to go jogging outside. I would have to either work out inside or drive somewhere to go jogging.
Well, there it is. Please let me know what you think is the best choice!
5 comments:
I vote for Richardson...I think that you would be happier in the long run to have friends and fun shops/restaurants close by. Plus the whole reason to be moving is to feel safer, and I think the Lakewood place is actually as step down from where you are now in the safe department. I don't know though, you've got to go with your gut!
After reading your pros and cons my initial response is to do the Lakewood thing. It sounds like its got more character, safe feeling with the family right there...etc. The fact that it is bigger than where you are now is great b/c it would be annoying (to me) to have to do something with my current furniture. But I do think part of my response is coming from my desire to not live in a shopping/retail/apartment area anymore. I've loved it and it's very practical and nice! At the apartment You might have noisy neighbors, you might have annoying people around, but you would also feel safe and could just walk somewhere if you didn't want to drive. I dont think Lakewood vs Richardson is a big deal. I've never had to drive 75 to get to work, so I'm a little jaded in that response, but some of my closest friends lived in Richardson and we were there a lot. Never seemed to mind driving there...and in all honesty it's not really that far. I wouldn't base the move too much on Kasey being close by - she's one busy choir director and living next door to her 2 years....it was rare to see her. (I realize she wasn't ever stopping by b/c I'm married, but she is really busy). But it did always make me feel safe and good to know she was there if needed. Certainly a perk to have good friends nearby. And I know she'd love to have you there too. AND after seeing the place, I do love the apartments. The size would bother me...but again, I think I'm ready for a house! You'll make the right decision. Friends are always a better bonus than convenience. Just go with which one you have the most piece about and let the Lord close the door if it needs to be! LONG RESPONSE! Sorry
I vote for safe...but then again you are my little girl.
I really don't think you can go wrong either way Meagan. You are a great decision maker so I will support whatever decision you make...Love, Dad
My instinct was Richardson when I read all the pros...but I know either one would be great. Let me know what you decided!!
ughh--tough decision. My vote is to go with wherever you feel safest, even if you aren't going to save that much money. But if that little family lives by the Lakewood apt, will they maybe protect you from scary stuff?
BUT it might be worth it to be closer to friends and people that you know you can call and have there in 5 minutes if you need them, and sonic is always a good selling point, even if the place is a tad bit small.
the shirt in my picture says Let it Rock, Let it Roll, but it's kind of hard to read since it's stretched across my belly.
Good luck with the decision, and have fun moving when your momma comes to visit you!
mocryole
Post a Comment